Monday, January 28, 2013

February Meals

January had some flops. Lasagna soup? No. Hamburger Casserole? Not so much. Pancake Muffins? I've tried them twice now and they've never turned out quite right.

But we had a MAJOR hit as well. The World's Best Chicken. Wow. Charlie is my pickiest eater. He ate every bite and then asked for seconds! I doubled the recipe to have leftovers, but we ate so much that there was only half a chicken breast left. So TRY it! Seriously, it was so incredible.

We also had a lot of menu revisions. For various reasons, we didn't try a lot of the recipes I had planned. Bummer. BUT! I will get to them. So I am making two of them in February. In addition to those, we have some new recipes and a few more repeats than usual. My Mom bought me a pressure cooker for Christmas, so I have a pressure cooker (PC) recipe to try this month, too. Never used one before, so we'll see how that goes! Remember, we have 1 night of leftovers each week, two nights to eat out, and two nights we have dinner with the extended family. That's 20 meals for February. Here they are!

1. Italian Chicken (CP)
2. Jalapeno's Spinach Enchiladas
3. French Toast Bake - I'm going to try it with a cream cheese filling and fresh strawberries.
4. Ramen Noodle Salad
5. Calzone
6. Bacon Ranch Chicken Pasta (CP)
7. Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken - I'll be using crackers instead of pretzels. I don't like them. Ew.
8. Crowd Pleaser Chicken (CP)
9. Ham and Beans (CP) - I'll be modifying this recipe by getting the beans and spices from Honey Baked Ham. You can also get a ham hock there as well, but I have that already. We LOVE their ham and beans. Mmmmmmm!
10. Minestrone Soup (PC)
11. Korean Beef - by now, you know this is gonna be on the list. :)
12. Pork Carnitas (CP)
13. OMg Chicken
14. Cream Cheese Chicken Chili (CP)
15. Spicy Thai Noodles
16. Cheeseburger Chicken (CP)
17. Hawaiian Roll Ham and Swiss Sandwiches
18. The World's Best Chicken
19. Meatball Stuffed Biscuits
20. Pot Roast (CP/PC? not sure yet)
21. An alternate/extra meal. Because things were so crazy in January. Veggie Soup.

Any new recipes your family has tried and loved lately? Any old stand-by recipes that others should try? Any pressure cooker recipes? I need those too! Let me know and I'll work them into my menus!

Also, on a related note...


A few months ago, Eli brought home a recipe for Cowboy Caviar from a co-worker of his. He had tried it at a work function and told me it was fantastic. So I gave it a try. He was right. This is NOT your typical Cowboy Caviar. I wanted to pin it, but can't find it anywhere. So I'm creating a pin myself. By sharing this recipe with you here on this blog. :)




Not That Kind of Cowboy Caviar:
1 can black-eyed peas, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small jar diced pimentos, drained
1 can white shoe peg corn, drained
1 cup chopped celery
½ red onion, diced

Dressing:
¾ Cup sugar
½ cup olive oil
½ cup apple cider vinegar


Mix the sugar, olive oil, and vinegar in a bowl and set aside. In another large bowl mix together the other ingredients, making sure to drain all the canned items and rinse the black beans. Mix in the dressing, cover, and let marinade in the fridge overnight if possible (still yummy without the overnight marinating, but it really does get better with age). Serve with scoop tortilla chips and enjoy.


*It is a little oily, so if you prefer, you can drain it. But I wouldn't drain it until it's had time to marinate. It just gets so darn good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...